Re: [Monotone-devel] 'warning: unused parameter'

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 'warning: unused parameter'
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 12:36:20 -0500

Markus Wanner <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04/30/2014 10:40 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> I've succeeded in setting up a MinGW64 environment. It's quite nice once
>> you get past the tools install issues. I have not committed
>> INSTALL_windows_mingw64.txt yet; soon.
>
> Is is really that much different from mingw32 that it warrants a
> dedicated file? Wow!

Well, I started a separate file just in case. It turns out it is very
different; much simpler, since most of the dependent packages are
already packaged for MinGW64, and we can use 'pacman' to install them.

> In any case, please feel free to commit anything that fixes mingw-w64
> directly to nvm.

The 64 bit changes are mostly due to Windows using a different
underlying type for socket_type than Unix. There are many changes;
anything that checks for an invalid socket, some function return or
parameter types. The code is definitely cleaner after the fixes, so I
don't think it will break anything on 32 bit.

>> I'm getting lots of 'warning: unused parameter' messages from g++:
>>
>> ../monotone/src/simplestring_xform.hh:51:61: warning: unused
>> parameter 'thing' [-Wunused-parameter]
>>  origin::type get_made_from<std::string>(std::string const & thing)
>
> Yeah, lots of those. However, I personally postponed any such cleanup
> work for after 1.1, as it's hardly increasing stability but may possibly
> break things.

I've already done most of the work, but not commited or run the tests
yet; I'll commit it on a branch.

> Or put another way: Getting rid of warnings hasn't been a release goal
> for me.

I work much better when there are no spurious warnings; it's easier to
see the real problems in the compiler output.

So I'll add -Wno-unused-parameter to suppress the warnings, and take it
out on the branch.

--
-- Stephe