Re: [Monotone-devel] Mingw 64 bit build

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Mingw 64 bit build
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 17:12:27 +0200

Stephen,

On 05/03/2014 03:54 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> I've built nvm.msys2-mingw-64 with Mys2/MingW64 64 bit. It passes all tests
> except one func test (empty_environment) and some extra tests.

Cool, thanks.

What goes wrong in empty_environment? That one works on Msys 1.0.

> I need to test that branch on a Unix box (I have Debian and Cygwin),
> since most of the changes are in '#ifdef Windows' areas.

I just tried: There are a couple of places where Unix needs an argument
that you've commented out. Please revert those.

Also, I'm not a fan of the cast to void hack. That clutters the source
code quite a bit - especially when you need additional ifdefs to filter
based on platform. I'd rather disable that warning.

Please also teach your editor to not re-indent code you didn't touch.
That greatly eases review.

> See INSTALL_windows_msys2_64.txt for tools install; there is also
> INSTALL_windows_msys2_32.txt, which is very similar, but has "32"
> instead of "64" in lots of places. Having two different files makes it
> easier to cut and paste the commands.

I appreciate your efforts to document the build process. However, please
keep in mind that we don't provide half the amount of instructions on
building on any other OS. Already before those additions, I felt the
urge to merge, simplify and reduce the information into one file.

I think exact commands should go into a script or on the wiki, if yo
want. In the source tree, I'd say a single INSTALL_windows.txt showing
different build options and outlining special considerations for Windows
should suffice. As it stands, an average Windows user would need a guide
on how to choose the correct INSTALL_windows_* file.

Regards

Markus Wanner