[Monotone-devel] results from Debian buildd

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] results from Debian buildd
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 21:39:46 +0200

Hi,

when packaging monotone 1.1 for Debian, I decided to try enabling the
network tests, to see how the Debian buildd infrastructure now copes
with these (see [0]). After all, some of the tests now detect e.g. a
broken or missing DNS server, so I had hopes for some more tests passing.

Mainly for future reference: Most of the arches build and test monotone
1.1 just fine. However, these three failed: armel, hurd-i386,
kfreebsd-amd64.

On armel (host alwyn):
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=monotone&arch=armel&ver=1.1-1&stamp=1399303079
the test db_opt_fallback_mechanisms fails with:
mtn: network error: failed to connect: Network is unreachable

The test well checks if DNS resolution works. If it does, it's assuming
it can reach code.monotone.ca as well. An obvious bad assumption of
mine. Sorry. The existing check is good and needed, but not sufficient.

On hurd (host ironforge.sceen.net):
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=monotone&arch=hurd-i386&ver=1.1-1&stamp=1399334904
the following tests fail: netsync_hook_errcodes, netsync_key_hooks and
netsync_negotiation.

netsync seems to work via localhost. One error is related to a wrong
exit code from a client in case of failure, so this may well be a real
issue on Hurd. Hurd?

On kfreebsd-amd64 (host fayrfax):
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=monotone&arch=kfreebsd-amd64&ver=1.1-1&stamp=1399287730
only one test fails, but that one really surprises me: log_dir

It's puzzling because I'm running a build animal on that very platform.
And the test doesn't seem related to the network at all.

However, given tests with monotone 1.1 still don't cope well with a
missing or dysfunctional network, I simply disable network tests for the
Debian package, again. Fortunately, this also made the kfreebsd issue
vanish.

Regards

Markus Wanner

[0]: current Debian Package Auto-Building page for monotone:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=monotone