Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] botan

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [Monotone-users] botan
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:21:36 -0500

jfl <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it ok to install and run a version of botan separate from and
> possibly a different version than what's in monotone without dangerous
> and/or confusing interactions?

depends on the OS, and what you mean by "separate".

This is a general shared library configuration management question, not
specific to monotone.

mtn must use the shared library it was compiled for, or a strictly
upward-compatible one. I don't know if Botan is in general
upward-compatible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Debian (and Linux in general) has facilities for installing multiple
versions shared libraries for exactly this reason.

On Windows, you must put the botan .dll in the same directory as
mtn.exe, or ensure it is the only on PATH.

--
-- Stephe