[Monotone-devel] Trouble cloning

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Trouble cloning
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 08:03:23 -0400

I'm sorry to be asking basic usage questions again.

I have no trouble with the everyday use of monotone -- mind you, the
everyday commands are add, drop, sync, and update and they are pretty
simple once everything has been set up.

But I don't clone often.  I don't set up new databases often, and I
regret to say that I still need to ask on this list every time I do it.
I always seem to do something wrong.

Today it's cloning a database from a server to a new machine.

Is clone even the right way to do this?  I could perhaps fall back
to the more specific nonamalgameted commands.

address@hidden:~$ mtn clone --db=~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn --key
address@hidden mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto?com.pooq.hendrik.howto
--branch=com.pooq.hendrik.howto howto
mtn: connecting to 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
mtn:   include pattern  'com.pooq.hendrik.howto'
mtn:   exclude pattern  ''
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: successful exchange with 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in
mtn:       351 |       701 |      0/0
mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
address@hidden:~$

and listing the branches agrees.

address@hidden:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
address@hidden:~$

The thing is, listing the branches on the server does *not* agree:

address@hidden:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
com.pooq.topoi.howto
address@hidden:~$

(yes, the computer identifying itself as april in indeed also topoi.
That's not the problem)

Somehow I've missed out on doing something.  I'm hoping other eyes will
see what I don't.

Here's are the relevant usher stanzas I use on the server

userpass        "hendrik" "notmypassword"
monotone        "/usr/bin/mtn" "-k" "address@hidden"
listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
adminaddr       "127.0.0.3:12345"
logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"

server          "howto"
host            "0.0.0.0"
pattern         "com.pooq.topoi.howto"
local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn"

-- hendrik