monotone-users

[Monotone-users] No sponsored hardware :(

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-users] No sponsored hardware :(
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:54:20 +0200

Hi!

I was just notified that we didn't made it into the top 5 projects and
unfortunately got no hardware price from Thomas Krenn:

<http://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/Thomas_Krenn_Open_Source_F%C3%B6rderung_2010>

This means that we should approach plan B, namely heading to get some
cheap or sponsored virtual server as permanent and together
administerable machine for monotone.

Is anyone here on the list which could offer us a Xen instance on his
physical server?

If not, who is willing to throw in some money to buy a server? I have
good experiences with netcup (www.netcup.de) and there second smallest
V-Server offering looks like a good deal:

<http://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=136>

i.e. 3GHz CPU, 1GB RAM (boostable to 2GB), 30GB HDD, 1 IP inclusive. If
we want to change to another domain, we, that means, Graydon, could also
save the annual domain fee. For the above offer, we'd need 9 EUR/month
or 96 EUR/year. We could probably save a little more if we find an offer
with less guaranteed RAM (f.e. 768MB, boost up to 1500GB), but we
shouldn't go under 768 guaranteed, as the things which will be hosted
there are surely RAM-hungry.

Opinions and / or alternative offerings?

Thanks,
Thomas.