monotone-users

Re: [Monotone-users] How to change key (after email address change)?

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-users] How to change key (after email address change)?
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 13:42:25 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:46:53 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs
<address@hidden> said:

dirk.heinrichs> my email address has changed, so I would like to replace my
monotone
dirk.heinrichs> key. What's the best way to accomplish this?

All you really need to do is the same you did the first time: create a
new key with the new address (mtn genkey), and have it added on the
servers you want to have access to.

Of course, there's nothing say you HAVE to do this just because you
changed your email address.  Key names only look like email addresses,
it doesn't mean they ARE email addresses.  You see the difference?

Last of all, provided you've created your new key and are ABSOLUTELY
SURE you will NEVER need your old key any more, all you need to do is
to drop it (mtn drop).  The public part will of course live on in
other databases if it was inserted there, and it should stay there, so
older revisions and other things signed with your old key can still be
verified.

Cheers,
Richard