moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] a new mozbonobo plugin

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] a new mozbonobo plugin
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:07:21 +0100

Hi,

On 31 Jul 2003 18:06:23 +0200, Luca Padovani wrote
> Hi,
>
> we're trying to write a bonobo component for displaying MathML
> markup. The component is based on gtkmathview. We wonder what we
> have to do in order for mozilla-bonobo to be aware of the component.
> Does mozilla-bonobo have to be changed in any way?

No, it should work out of the box.

> Where does it get
> the list of supported mime-types from?

mozilla-bonobo uses a bonobo-activation query to find all the controls that
support Bonobo/Embeddable or Bonobo/Control and at least one of
Bonobo/PersistFile and Bonobo/PersistStream. It then queries the supported
mime types from all of these controls, and registers them with Mozilla.

There's a few catches though... Mozilla caches the information about
which plugin supports which mime type pretty aggressively. It will
also only work if the MathML content is included in a web page
using an <object> or an <embed> tag. The web server also has to know
about the MathML mime type... There are quite a few constraints.

> Or perhaps it is enough to put the relevant .server file in place and
> making sure the .so library with the component is available?

Yes, that should suffice. Basically, when your component is correctly
registered with Bonobo, mozilla-bonobo should pick it up.

> Thanks in advance,
> -- luca

You're welcome, and in fact, thanks for your interest!

Cheers,

Christian Glodt