moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] gtkmathview-bonobo and MathML embedding

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] gtkmathview-bonobo and MathML embedding
Date: 24 Mar 2004 08:10:40 +0100

Le mar 23/03/2004 à 21:36, Luca Padovani a écrit :
> Hi everybody,
>
> I apparently found a way of circumventing one of the major drawbacks of
> using the <object> tag in HTML pages for referring to a resource whose
> content is rendered by a plugin (the gtkmathview-bonobo plugin in my
> case, but the technique is rather general.) In fact it strikes me that I
> haven't seen any documentation about this "feature".
>
> The trick is indeed simple: just make the data attribute of the <object>
> element have as content the id of an element local to the same HTML
> file, say #math1, and then put somewhere in the same file an element
> <input type="hidden"> whose content is the MathML markup. The root
> <math> element will have a id="#math1" attribute. In fact, you can put
> the <input> element as child of the <object> element itself. At this
> point the plugin will load a document that is contained within the same
> HTML page, no need to put the plugin content in an external file. On
> galeon this works flawlessly, presumably it does on mozilla as well.
>
> A complete sample XHTML file is attached to this email.
>
> Is this absolutely obvious to you or really nobody has thought of this
> before?

OK, it works (more precisely, seems to work since the bonobo control for
MathML is not available). But I have a concern about your sample file.
the input tag should be inside a <form></form> block. The dtd makes
possible to put it elsewhere, but I think that future versions based on
XmlSchemas might not.

Best regards,

Jean