nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Long search string in history.

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Long search string in history.
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:40:36 +0100

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 04:03:59PM -0800, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> - Deciding about this getpwent() issue.  I don't think this will be an
> isolated incident.  Bash and Id imagine most unix programs simply use
> getenv("HOME").  I will likely revert to using that, and perhaps use
> getpwuid(geteuid()) as a fallback (thank you for the suggestion Jordi :)

Hmm. Back to this...

 debconf (1.2.25) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * To find .debconfrc, look up the home directory of the current user with
     getpwuid, instead of trusting $HOME, which is untrustworthy thanks to
     programs like sudo. Closes: #181288

FWIW, I have one user in my server which uses nano to edit a file under
another user id. I guess I could be bitten by this, too.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/