nano-devel

RE: [Nano-devel] Tabs To Spaces Patch?

From: Andrew Ho
Subject: RE: [Nano-devel] Tabs To Spaces Patch?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

SL>Ah, but I want Tabify and Untabify /precisely/ to make working with
SL>Makefiles easier. If a Makefile fails to work, you just Tabify it, and all
SL>spaces are converted to tabs, and off you go.

That's actually not true; in Makefiles there are some lines which must be
prepended with tabs (shell commands), and others that are not (internal
Makefile code). So if a user (or an editor) blindly converts all spaces to
tabs or vice versa, all but the simplest Makefiles will break.

That being said, I still find tabs to spaces behavior useful for editing
non-Makefile source code. But editing a Makefile, where the initial
whitespace has meaning other than just for formatting, is one of those
times I would definitely leave such a feature off!

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       address@hidden
Engineer                    1-800-555-TELL          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.                                 Fax 650-930-9101