nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] optional unicode (ncursesw) support

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] optional unicode (ncursesw) support
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:20:29 -0500

Mike Frysinger wrote:

>might i suggest an additional configure option to control linking of
>nano against ncurses versus ncursesw ?
>
>i'm thinking if there was say --{dis,en}able-utf8 (or maybe call it
>'unicode' instead of 'utf8'), that'd work fine :)
>
>expected behavior:
>if neither --disable-utf8 or --enable-utf8 was passed, then current
>behavior of searching for ncursesw then ncurses would be retained ...
>if the user passed --enable-utf8 though, the configure script would
>bail if ncursesw was not detected ...
>if the user passed --disable-utf8, ncursesw would not be checked even
>if it was on the system ...

Sounds good to me.  However, it may be a bit more complicated than just
checking for ncurses(w), since UTF-8 support also depends on certain
other functions (iswalnum(), iswblank() or iswspace(), mblen(),
mbtowc(), wctomb(), and wcwidth()) that we shouldn't need to check for
when using --disable-utf8, and the warning about not finding sufficient
UTF-8 support probably shouldn't be displayed then either.

>if this tweak is acceptable, i can send a patch for configure.ac if you
>want

It is.  Thanks in advance.