nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: About the nano rewrite

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: About the nano rewrite
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 17:41:55 -0500

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:58:45AM -0500, David Benbennick wrote:
> > Well, to elaborate a bit on the X11 idea, a few people have brought up
> > the idea of a graphical frontend for nano, but right now it seems about
> > as likely as the DJGPP port.  (Or even less so, as there have been
> > people who've said they have patches for it and never sent them, and one
> > person with a patch to add it to 1.0.8[!] that disables far more
> > functionality than necessary in the process.)  Besides, in order to
> > support an X11 frontend properly, nano would have to be decoupled from
> > curses in the first place, which would take yet another rewrite...
>
> I guess that in a perfect world, any terminal running under X would
> have support for any key combination supported by X (e.g.
> Ctrl-Delete), and that key support would filter through curses to Nano
> without Nano having to know about X at all.  Oh well; it's no surprise
> that ncurses isn't perfect!

Doesnt XCurses (part of PDCurses) alreay provide exactly this?  I've
compiled nano against XCurses before, though not recently and
certainly not against 1.3.

Or is the idea here to have some snazzy file graphical file browser to
read/write files?

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

v2sw7CUPhw5ln6pr5Pck4ma7u7LFw0m6g/l7Di5e6t5Ab6THen7g6Ma29s5r3p7 hackerkey.com