nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Trailing returns

From: Marcus Bointon
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Trailing returns
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:53:36 +0100

On 18 Apr 2007, at 19:23, John Gabriele wrote:

On GNU/Linux systems I've never seen a problem that was caused by
having a newline at the end of a file.

Generally it's not a problem, but just occasionally it is. I have a little program that expects a single line of space-separated values. The trailing line break makes it think there is an additional empty element, so I can't edit the file in nano.

I've also run into it when concating files that I've edited, where they should together in the middle of a line - but nano has added an extra unwanted line break.

In php scripts, any output after the closing ?> can cause premature header sending. I think it actually copes with just a line break, but it's the principle.

One reason I thought might be applicable is that when you use standard input (e.g. cat>file), the ctrl-d to finish must be on a new line, and therefore every file made that way will have a trailing return.

Anyway, glad I'm not barking up an entirely unfamiliar tree - any chance of a new feature?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of address@hidden CRM solutions