nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] found a small failure in the undo stuff

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] found a small failure in the undo stuff
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 13:54:32 +0200

Hi Mark,

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014, at 0:43, Mark Majeres wrote:
> I fixed the first part of this and also the similar problem that
> happens when deleting a line break.

Thanks.  This will go into SVN later today.

> The second part though, I disagree with.  I think the undo/redo of a
> cut action should always behave the same, regardless of how the text
> was originally selected.  No one will remember if they selected it
> backwards or forwards,

I do.  :)

> so it would be confusing to sometimes have the
> cursor placed at the end of the cut and sometimes at the start of the
> cut.  I didn't look into the effort required to fix this, but as I
> recall it would take some time to do.  If anyone feels real strong
> about this, I will look into it and fix the behavior.  Scite, gedit,
> and Codelite all behave the way it is now.

I hadn't tried this in any other editor, and I don't know about Scite
nor Codelite, but now that I try this in Gedit, it behaves like I expect
it to: Shift-Ctrl-Left over some words, ^X ^Z, the cursor will be to the
left of the restored deletion; Shift-Ctrl-Right over some words, ^X ^Z,
and the cursor will be to the right of it.

$ gedit --version
gedit - Version 2.30.3

But let's hear what others have to say about this.

Benno

                          or over the web