nano-devel

[Nano-devel] interrupting contiguous cuts (or not) with horizontal movem

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] interrupting contiguous cuts (or not) with horizontal movement
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 21:27:28 +0200

Hi Mark,

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014, at 18:03, Mark Majeres wrote:
> I think all the problems you mention about the ^K's and the segfault
> can be resolved by leaving the call to cutbuffer_reset() in text.c per
> my patch, and instead removing the cutbuffer_reset() from nano.c.
> Have you tried this?

Hmm... No, I hadn't tried that.  Have done that now.

Wow.  It does work.  Behaviour appears to be identical as
with my own little patch, but my patch I understand, and
yours I don't: it even gets rid of this whole 'preserve'
checking, which is beautiful, but puzzling.

However... with your patch nano is now very "conservative".
Before the patch, any cursor movement would break a series
of ^Ks, but now only vertical movement breaks a series.
One can even search for a word in the current line and
still subsequent ^Ks will be glued to the previous ones!

This is a rather big change in behaviour.  Personally I have
gotten used to doing an <Up><Down> to break a series of
linecuts, but maybe some people have gotten into the habit
of doing <Right><Left> -- they would be sourly annoyed if
that no longer blows away the previously cut stuff.

How to solve that?

Benno