nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] A patch for added color support

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] A patch for added color support
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:18:31 +0200

Hello Erik,

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 13:28, Erik Lundin wrote:
> I have created a patch to add support for 256 colors in nano. What do you
> think?

Nice!  However, the detection whether the terminal supports 256 colours
is in my opinion too simple.  My TERM is set by default to "xterm", so with
your patch I don't get more than sixteen colours.  But if I simply set TERM
to "xterm-256color", I do get the 256 colours.  So... how does one find out
properly whether the terminal is /capable/ of more than sixteen colours?

About the patch itself: I don't like the use of question marks in color???
to indicate that three decimal digits have to be filled in; I would prefer
something like colorxxx.  Also, it is completely unclear to me how the
xxx numbers choose a color.  This should be tersely explained in the
man page, I think -- maybe with a link to a Wikipedia article that has
all the details and colourful examples?

Thanks for the patch, it is a nice start.

Regards,

Benno