nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Remove build time from online help

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Remove build time from online help
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 22:12:44 +0100

Hi Jordi,

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015, at 13:23, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> I agree with the patch proponents in

> that this string is not really useful for anyone,

Well, it's useful to me, to see when did I last build and install
nano from svn, to know whether it's up to date.

> and I would just remove it entirely.

I can agree with that -- for the end user it is pointless information.
Only building from svn should add some date+time marker.

> So even if rather late in the 2.4 cycle, and actually adding a fuzzy string,
> but I'd love to see this in the final 2.4.0 release, and suggest releasing a
> quick pre4 with it so translators can again catch up.

Fine with me.  Although I would suggest not to hurry with a pre4,
as there will likely be a pre5 and pre6, possibly for the man-page
or other stuff.

> -    printf(_(" GNU nano version %s (compiled %s, %s)\n"), VERSION,
> -     __TIME__, __DATE__);
> +    printf(_(" GNU nano version %s\n"), VERSION);

To be pedantic: I would put a comma after nano.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - mmm... Fastmail...