nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] searching for regexes containing ^ or $

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] searching for regexes containing ^ or $
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 17:36:23 +0200

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015, at 18:40, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> On 4/22/15, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Vim and geany and emacs will find the fixed string "eee" just
> > once in the short text at the top.  Nano will find it three times.
> > And so does Pico.  So nano will have to continue doing that.  [...]
>
> This sounds like something that would irritate me enough to implement
> a long option/rcfile option to be able to override the Pico behavior
> as it does seem strange.

I am so used to nano's behaviour that I was surprised when vim
found it only once: "Come on! It is there three times!"

> I think I've run into it all of once or
> twice in 15 years.

Whenever there are merge conflicts, I search for "<<<", and
nano will find it several more times when I try to jump to the
next conflict, which is a bit annoying.  But I've learned to do
PageDown and then M-W.

> whether
> you were to add this once 2.5 opens is entirely up to you Benno,

It doesn't bother me enough to want to implement an overriding
option, but... I will accept a patch.  :)

(The special case for replacing literal ^s and $s was removed
from SVN, r5214.)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...