nano-devel

[Nano-devel] escaping from restricted mode

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] escaping from restricted mode
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:45:23 +0200

Hi all,

It would seem that very few people are actually using nano's
restricted mode, or otherwise /someone/ would have reported
that it isn't fully working.  For example, run 'rnano README'
and type ^O.  Apart from ^G and ^C no shortcuts are shown, but
you can type M-D and it will save the file in DOS format, you can
type M-B and it will make a backup, and when you type ^T it will
take you to the file browser (where you can't actually select any
file, but you can browse the entire filesystem).  None of these
things should be happening, none of these shortcuts should work,
they should all just beep.

Also, when running 'rnano --help' it shows all the same options
as 'nano --help', but for rnano the options -B, -C, -F, -H, -I,
-P, -Y, -s, and -z all have no effect.  I think they should
therefore not be listed when nano is running in restricted mode.

Furthermore, in nano's main edit window several toggles are
working that shouldn't be doing anything: typing M-F will switch
multibuffer mode on, but this is pointless as ^R is disabled.
M-B toggles backups on, which shouldn't be allowed.  And M-Z
will toggle suspendability on, but also this is pointless as
typing  ^Z then says that this function is disabled.  I think
those toggles should not work, nor should the main help text
list them.

And finally, the two help lines below the main edit window show
^R and ^T, but both are disabled.  I think it would be better to
not show them; first, to not show things that don't actually work,
and second, to give the users some visual feedback that they are
in restricted mode.

I plan to fix all these things in the next week or so.

Comments?  Objections?  Further things that should be restricted?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail