nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Fwd: Re: exit without saving

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] Fwd: Re: exit without saving
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 18:16:32 +0100

----- Original message -----
From: Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
To: Mike Brown <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] exit without saving
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:50:25 +0100

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your feature suggestion.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015, at 08:11, Mike Brown wrote:
> Feature request:
>
>    Meta-T  -  toggle -t / --tempfile command line option

Unfortunately, Meta-T is already taken.  Also, I don't like the
idea of having a toggle for this: if someone, during furious
typing, accidentally toggles this on without noticing, then
decides to discard the changes with ^X N, types ^X...
Aaargh!!

>    At the write file prompt, allow a control key to exit
>    without saving, e.g. ^X or ^Y.

Yes, I like that one.  I wouldn't use ^X though (too close
to ^C, too easy to discard the file when you just meant to
cancel the save), nor ^Y (feels too much like "Yes, save").

I was thinking of ^Q (Quit), but sounds too much like quitting
the entire program.  ^A (Abandon), ^D (Discard), ^K (Kill-it)
are already used for editing the filename.  So I would suggest
^R (Reject, Rubbish) or ^J (Junk-it).

> The goal is to make it easier to exit a 'nano -t' session without saving,

Well... in the upcoming release the behaviour of ^O with --tempfile
has been made the same as in Pico.  That means that there is no way
to abandon an edited buffer except by killing nano.  Maybe we need
to reconsider this.

Do you mind if I forward this email to nano-devel see what others
think about a ^R rejection key in the Write-Out dialog?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class

--