nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] disable a time-consuming multiline regex?

From: David Niklas
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] disable a time-consuming multiline regex?
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 21:31:41 -0500

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:49:32 Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016, at 05:59, address@hidden wrote:
> > 1. String HL
> >  From two expressions into one
>
> Doesn't make it clearer.  The extra pair of () gets in the way.

Split to two expressions, I'm assuming that you'd prefer it that way.

<snip>
> >  Made second not over or under HL
>
> Why are a " and a \ not allowed between <>?

I'd argue that using either in a header file's name is a bad idea, if not
illegal. There are no files in or beneath /usr/include that do so.
Still, there are strange people out there.
Fixed.

> >  Made first not under HL
>
> Empty strings "" are no longer highlighted.

Strings are one or more chars by definition.
Still, there are those corner cases and gcc does add a NUL (though
technically it should not).
Fixed.

<snip>
> >  Removed useless comma
>
> Uh?  The comma means the yellow is *background*.
>
> > 3. Trailing white space HL
> >  Removed useless comma
>
> Without the comma there is no visible highlight.
> Did you even test your file?

Sorry, I got the highlighting rules backward in my head.
Since I was working from a known good highlighting pattern I figured
rechecking was unnecessary (but my original file does use the commas so
I goofed).

Sincerely, David