nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] How to lock a terminal

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] How to lock a terminal
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:10:01 -0700

Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Since you seemed interested I investigated further and found:
> >
> >   address@hidden:~$ grep suspend /etc/nanorc
> >   ## Allow nano to be suspended.
> >   set suspend
>
> Aaah.  When you said you didn't have a nanorc file at all,
> I understood you really didn't have /any/ nanorc file.
>
> Thanks for clearing this up.

I am only an infrequent user of nano.  I didn't even know there was a
possibility of a /etc/nanorc file.  I just knew I hadn't created a
$HOME/.nanorc file.  :-)

And my ignorance means that my suggestion to use job control is one of
those recipes that either works or not depending upon the
configuration.  Which I didn't know at the time.  If I had then I
would have mentioned it.  Oh well.  It is still probably useful as a
general idea when it is configured to work or when faced with a
similar situation with other programs.  And when not then it is back
to using a second terminal to kill the process for when it isn't nano
and Control-X does not exit the process pipeline.

Bob