nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 06:32:24 -0600

Yes, *respond* to the things I said instead of discarding them
as "yada yada".

I apologise for giving an impression of discarding anything. I appreciate the feedback, it was all thoughtful and reasonable. I was hesitant to compound my own verboseness by responding point-by-point until I understand the process a little better. As I've gotten older, I like to ponder a bit before responding. I'm argumentative by nature but found it is not always appreciated.

It is pretty hard to pick up how this group/team operates and values different tradeoffs and how homogeneous those values are across the group. Maybe that's the nature of these kinds of projects, I'm fairly new to community development and gnu projects.

"casual users" vs. everyday users
non-TINY file size vs. functionality
BDFL vs group consensus
7-bit ascii email vs. html formatting
meta-discussion (like this) vs. brevity
tradition vs. improvement

Has the idea of a "contributor guide" ever been discussed?

-Mike

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:56 AM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016, at 04:10, Mike Scalora wrote:
> I'm not sure where this leaves us. The comments seemed mixed between
> "maybe" and "not likely".

You interpreted that well.

> Should I interpret this as:
>     A. Not happening, save your breath.

Not in the current form, not with this huge built-in table.  Move
that info out into the syntax files.

(There seem to be two main comment styles: hash and slashslash.
You could default to hash, detect whether it has to be slashslash
instead, and leave all the others to be set by the syntax files.)

And it needs a configure flag to exclude the whole function.

>     C. Waiting for others to chime in.

Certainly, that too.

Yes, *respond* to the things I said instead of discarding them
as "yada yada".

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class