nano-devel

[Nano-devel] should ^W be rebound to 'search_forward'?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] should ^W be rebound to 'search_forward'?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 15:20:21 +0200

Op 25-09-2017 om 17:46 schreef David Ramsey:
Benno Schulenberg:
^S will be the first thing people will try for saving a file,

For the record, I'm in favor of these changes.

Thanks.

Also, after they gets in, sample.nanorc will need to be updated, since
it still refers to the savefile function's being unused.

Yes.  I will include that change.

The attached
patch should accomplish this.  (It also fixes a grammar issue in the
same area: "different than" should be "different from".)

Hmm.  And if I changed "different" to "other", would it be okay then?

Something else.  When ^Q becomes "Start a backward search", shouldn't
^W be changed to become "Start a forward search"?  Instead of just
"Start a search"?  Because if not, and the user actually makes use of
^Q to do a backward search, then the next ^W will *also* do a backward
search.  Which is awkward.  It would require a toggle of M-B to get a
forward search again. But of course, for the users that are accustomed
to the current behavior of ^W (its remembering the direction of the last
search), changing ^W to search always forward will be annoying -- it
would require them to learn to use ^Q instead.

Changing the behavior would make for a more consistent interface,
which is good for new users.  And leaving the rebinding of ^W (to
a more sensible function) up to the user will not upset old users.

I don't know what to do, but tend toward rebinding ^W by default
and incurring the wrath of the habitual backward searchers (those
with 'set backwards' in their .nanorc file) -- which I hope will
be very few.

Anyone an opinion on this?

Benno