nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nanorc.nanorc end-of-line comments

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nanorc.nanorc end-of-line comments
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 14:53:08 -0700

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 22:06:01 +0100
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Okay.  None of the current syntax files contains trailing comments,
> so there doesn't seem to be any need for them.  Furthermore, lines
> with color commands are often quite long, so no one will want to put
> a trailing comment after those.  Bind commands are short and could
> in theory allow comments, spacewise, but... bind commands are mostly
> self-explanatory, so no need for comments there.
>
> So... EOL comments in nanorc files are now officially forbidden.

EOL comments are quite useful, just don't add support for them to color
commands. I use them after every bind/unbind command. And they are useful after
set commands that aren't "self-explanatory", avoids a trip to man when you
can't remember what it does. Full line comments are harder to read and add more
scrolling, they don't utilize all that empty space to the right of commands.