nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [no bug] do_scroll_down

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [no bug] do_scroll_down
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:39:18 +0100

Op 10-03-18 om 03:05 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 11:40:56 +0100 Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> Yes.  It *can* scroll, the user tells it to scroll, so it should scroll.
>>
>> Nano is not limited by the graphic-interface paradigm, where, when the data
>>  fits in the window, there is no scroll bar, so you cannot scroll.
>
> Why doesn't do_scroll_up work the same way? There is no valid reason to scroll
> content out of the window that doesn't also apply to do_scroll_up.

Maybe.  And yet that won't happen.

> Wouldn't it be better to have do_scroll_up/down move the cursor if the
> content can't be scrolled any further?

No.

What would have been better is when Scroll-Up/Down would have kept
the cursor not in the same screen position but in the same *text*
position, because that is what I normally want.  (And that is what
Emacs does.  Not that Emacs is sacrosanct, but generally it has well
thought-out behavior.)

>> Also, in emacs, 'scroll-up-line' does the same thing: it scrolls the content
>> even when all of it fits in the window.
>
> Doesn't emacs have a long startup time and use a lot of memory?

Now you are being silly.  No, you are being nasty: you are burning
straw men.  That is an annoying attack.

Benno