nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 20:09:28 +0100

Op 11-03-18 om 22:28 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:04:43 +0100 Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
>> This provides something similar to the "Top", "Bottom", "All", and a
>> percentage that Vim and Emacs show in their status bar, but more limited.
>> Maybe nano should implement a similar indicator instead of this limited
>> version?
>
> Do they display those words?

Yes, but abbreviated to three letters: Top, Bot, All.  (But in Dutch,
vim spells them out in full; it seems enough space has been reserved
for that.)

> Arrows would take up less space

Yes, and they don't need to be translated, so translators cannot
change the number of characters they take up.

> and show when scrolling can happen, unlike those words which show when
> scrolling can't happen. A percentage would be nice, but that would take up
> even more space, especially if put in the titlebar.

I would suggest: when at top-of-buffer, show an arrow down; when at
end-of-buffer, show an arrow up; and otherwise show a percentage.
A percentage takes up two or three characters (we don't show 100%,
because then the up arrow will appear).  This leaves open what to
show when the whole buffer fits and is onscreen.

> Another option would be to split the arrows between titlebar and statusbar.

Nah.  For me the status-bar shows centered text -- I don't want anything
on the left or right.

> 100% would be when edittop->lineno == filebot->lineno - editwinrows, but
> edittop can exceed that value when buffer is scrolled off the top of screen.
> Should percentage show >100% at that point?

No; see above -- when the end of the buffer is in view, an up arrow
is shown instead of a percentage.

>> So... should nano become more friendly and give feedback when the cursor
>> cannot move any further in the desired direction?
>
> Is there no case where nano beeps at top or bottom of buffer, because I
> thought it did, but testing says otherwise. A beep might be nice, but perhaps
> put it behind a toggle as it might annoy some.

I've asked this question before and Mike said something similar [1].
But I don't want to add another option.  Nano already beeps in several
other situations.  People who dislike this will most likely have turned
beeps off system-wide.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2015-08/msg00007.html

Benno