nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: nano's justifications are poorer than those of Pic

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: nano's justifications are poorer than those of Pico -- okay to improve?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 21:04:02 -0500

> Benno Schulenberg:
>> In the "pathological" case of a file where no two adjacent lines have
>> the same indentation, this recursion could go back all the way to the
>> start of the file.  Do you think we should cut that short somehow, to
>> prevent a stack overflow?
>
> I'm not sure.  I'll look at it.  It'll be a few days, though; I'll be
> busy this week, until Friday at least.

Addendum: I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've tried it with indentation consisting of one space on the first
line, two on the second line, etc., all the way up to 178 spaces.  Also,
I've done it via both breaking lines (if the terminal is only 80 columns
wide, justify will do this) and joining them (if nano is run with the
option "-r 100000", justify will do this, assuming no line is actually
that long).

With your new definition of what constitutes a paragraph (one line with
indentation A is the starting line of a paragraph; the next line with
indentation A or B is the following line of a paragraph; the next line
with indentation C is the starting line of another paragraph), it
doesn't actually go all the way back to the beginning.  It also doesn't
seem to be any slower than usual, although I haven't timed it
specifically (for what that's worth, if anything).