nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Whitespace display mode: extend it to handle newlines?

From: David Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] Whitespace display mode: extend it to handle newlines?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 18:06:10 -0500

One thing I've noticed with whitespace display mode for awhile is that,
while it displays characters for tabs and spaces, it doesn't display
anything for newlines.  I was wondering if there's any interest in that
feature, especially since softwrap mode can make it harder to determine
where actual newlines are.

If there's any interest, I've come up with the attached patch as a rough
first attempt, against git 518a2b4.  It extends the whitespace string to
3 characters; the third is the one for newlines.  The characters it uses
are U+21B5 in UTF-8 mode, and "<" otherwise.

Note that it provides no documentation yet, and also refuses to work
with a nanorc containing a two-character whitespace string.  (I'm not
sure how to fix the latter; maybe allow a variable-length string for
whitespace, as long as it's between 1 and 3 characters long?)