nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] What does "chop" mean?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] What does "chop" mean?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 19:37:58 +0100

Op 11-03-19 om 18:25 schreef Mario Blättermann:
> while translating the latest version of Nano, I stumbled upon "Chop left" and
> "Chop right". What's the effect of this kind of chopping?

In the PO file, the comment line just before "Chop left" says:

#. TRANSLATORS: The next two strings refer to deleting words.

At the beginning of that long list of "tags" it says to try and keep
these strings at most ten characters.  But the above two tags only
appear when your terminal is more than roughly 420 columns wide, and
by then you have 14 or 15 characters available per tag. But "Wort links
hacken" and "Wort rechts hacken" would still be too long.  So I would
leave out "Wort".

A translation that makes full sense is not important for most of the
tags, apart from the first twenty or so, because most of them never
appear on an average terminal.

Benno