nano-devel

Re: Show anchors in the indicator?

From: Tomas Mudrunka
Subject: Re: Show anchors in the indicator?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:02:30 +0200

Dne 2020-07-31 09:58, Benno Schulenberg napsal:
Op 30-07-2020 om 09:50 schreef Tomas Mudrunka:
just tested nano 5.0 and the new features are great! I just wonder if it might be
possible to make anchors visible...

I think the anchored lines can be optionaly marked by some symbol in the
indicator bar, so i can see which lines have anchors on them.

Interesting idea.  But... it would require nano to run through all
the lines to see where the anchors are for every update of the screen,
or it would require a separate data structure to store the anchors.
Too much overhead.

Also, I think having the anchors visible in the indicator bar would
look messy, so it would require another option to switch this on for
the people who actually want it.  I don't want to go there.

Benno

I have to agree with you on the messiness. Especialy because the indicator is to be interpreted at the scale of whole file rather than the scale of individual lines. And looks really minimalistic and nice like it is. Would be shame to break that look.

Maybe use highlighted background for the first character of the line. Or underscore? I think the underscore for the first character of the line would look really lean and low-profile.

--
S pozdravem
Best regards