nano-devel

Re: Slang has too many bugs

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Slang has too many bugs
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 12:04:09 +0100

Hi Jordi,

Good to hear from you!  I was beginning to think that the pandemic...  :/

Op 17-11-2020 om 18:11 schreef Jordi Mallach:
> Right. I agree that Slang should be EOL for nano.

Okay.

> I agree. I'll talk to the d-i maintainer to see if it's realistic to
> switch to ncurses for bullseye, but I assume it's not as we're nearing
> the freeze and this is quite a low level change that would affect
> cdebconf as well.

It will not be necessary to immediately switch all the installer stuff
over to ncurses -- it would be enough to first just switch nano over.
That would already be an improvement: it would make nano work correctly
also in the non-graphical installer, so it could be considered a plain
bug fix.

> So, I wonder if you can consider holding with the slang support until
> no more nano new versions can transition to debian testing, or else
> we'll have to go with the last version supporting slang for the
> bullseye stable release.

Hmmm...  Let's compromise: I'll keep Slang support around in the next
release (5.4, sometime this year), and then remove it.  If afterward a
serious bug is found and fixed, I'll provide a patch for 5.4 (if Debian
hasn't started to use ncurses for nano in the installer).  What do you
say?

Regards,

Benno