nano-devel

Windows Users - Unwanted?

From: Gavin Holt
Subject: Windows Users - Unwanted?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 22:55:08 +0000

Hi,

I would love to use Nano on Windows it is "just enough" editor for my liking.
The interface is crystal clear and consistent. Its nice to see a quick simple
console based program still under active development.

>From your site the last windows binary is 2.7.5 with some "Not available in
>Windows yet" messages. I am very grateful to lhmouse for compiling the later
>releases for windows (github.com/lhmouse/nano-win/releases/tag/v5.4) as I have
>no wish to install+wrangle a compiler. This works well in the legacy CMD.exe
>console and with syntax highlighting it's beautiful.

However, the Windows version is limited and I'm told this is due to a lack of a
'sys.fork' function. This limits the advanced functions (format, lint, spell,
execute), but also prevents the use of an external clip.exe to link the Nano
CutBuffer and the Windows system clipboard. The gitForWindows project does
allow the advanced features of Nano 4.9, but with the  multi-gigabyte overhead
of msys - not a trade I care to make.

I can live without the advanced functions, but cut/copy is painful using the
console system menu. Is there any easy way to code a link to the
undelying/Windows system clipboard, without breaking the build for other
operating systems?

I guess there must be more to it, but many other cross-platform projects
produce "all the features - on all the operating systems".

Kind Regards Gavin Holt