nano-devel

Re: [bug #63062] [Wish] A feature to trim blanks automatically at the en

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [bug #63062] [Wish] A feature to trim blanks automatically at the end of lines when the text is saved
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 09:49:53 +0100

Op 02-12-2022 om 22:21 schreef André Kugland:
May I suggest that the config line you suggested be added to the default nanorc (commented) as an example of what can be done?

As the line before what you quote says, it already is:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/commit/?id=5b654ce9

(By the way: there is no default nanorc.  There is a sample.nanorc,
but most distros install this file by default as /etc/nanorc.)

I myself didn’t know that nano could have keybindings that pipe the buffer into another program.

It was in the NEWS file:

  2018.06.02 - GNU nano 2.9.8 "Espresso" brings the ability to filter the
               buffer (or the marked region) through an external command
               (^R^X and prefix the command with the pipe symbol, "|")...

Or more condensed in the IMPROVEMENTS file:

  Since 2.9.0:
    - The ability to filter text through an external command.

Looking at the help text (^T ^G) could have helped too:

  ...  If the command is  preceded by '|' (the pipe symbol), the current
  contents of the buffer (or marked region) will be piped to the command.

Benno