nmh-workers

Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 17:07:51 -0400

>Thanks.  Seems...  overkill...  to have to fire up a parsing language,
>but it will definitely work.

Remind me ... how many parsing languages get fired up for a random Unix
command on a modern Unix system, today? :-)

But, okay, that's not really fair.  The mh-format language is, I think,
pretty lightweight in terms of embeddable languages.  Probably more
problematic is I think scan(1) opens the message even though it
doesn't need anything from it.

>It also seems like mark(1) could do it.  Currently it ignores its
>message args if -list is given.  It could be enhanced so that if
>message args are given, then -list would only output sequence
>membership for the given args.
>
>...time passes...
>
>I have a partial patch for mark which does what I described.  Don't
>know whether it's worth it or not.

I think that would make sense to me; I cannot think of a reason why that
wouldn't generally be useful.

--Ken