nmh-workers

Re: "next" using my "pick" sequences?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: "next" using my "pick" sequences?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:01:47 +0100

Hi,

Ken wrote:
> > So once I've done a "show 55399" and read the email ... How can I
> > ask the "next" command to show me "next in the sequence named
> > 'star'" ?
>     The specifications "name:next" and "name:prev" may also be used,
>     and they designate the next or previous message (relative to the
>     current message) which is an element of the user-defined sequence
>     `name'.

I have a ~/bin/n which lets me do ‘n foo’ for a sequence called foo by
just juggling things so ‘show foo:next’ runs.  Ditto ‘b’, back, for
prev(1); ‘p’ is already taken for pick(1).

But really, I think next(1) and prev(1) should accept messages in the
same way as show(1) and move to the appropriate one in the list they're
given relative to the current message.  So if ‘prime’ is 7 11 and the
current message is 10 then ‘next prime 9’ shows 11 and ‘prev prime 9’
shows 9.  If there's no current message then I suggest next shows the
first in the sequence and prev the last; this fits with continuing to
use the same command to work through the list.

--
Cheers, Ralph.