nmh-workers

Re: Surprising MIME Type from Android.

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: Surprising MIME Type from Android.
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:57:25 +0200

Ralph Corderoy wrote in
 <20220725092852.E055E2017C@orac.inputplus.co.uk>:
 |> I ran mhstore(1) and was surprised by the ‘81081.2.*’ filename.
 |>   2     image/*                  2985K
 |> I haven't checked yet, but I assume it violates the RFCs.
 |
 |It does by my reading of
 |https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2045#section-5.1
 |
 |Something for mhfixmsg(1) to correct?

Fwiw, my mailer has a *mime-counter-evidence* variable which tries

 |Has anyone else got an example?
 |
 |    pick -sea 'content-type.*\*'

It has become better, but i see that setting adjusting MIME types
very often.  (Though most often it is overwriting
application/octet-stream with something more sensible.  Iirc
especially elder Apple Mail's where notorious false claimers.)

--steffen