nmh-workers

Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 07:15:57 +0000

Hi Torsten,

> I hope I can ask for guidance here.

Yes, very much so.

> inc: -ERR [SYS/PERM] This account requires an encrypted network
> connection to login. Your current connection is vulnerable to
> villainous voyeurs. Reconnect using transport layer security, aka
> SSL/TLS, to access this account.
> inc: -host example.com -user user@example.com
> machine example.com
> login user
> password Password
>
> How do I tell inc to use encryption/tls/ssl, if that is the problem...

I think it is the problem.  Try adding -initialtls to inc's options,
either by editing ~/.mh_profile or just temporarily at the command line
where it will augment those in the mh_profile(5).

    inc -initialtls

There are two ways of establishing a TLS connection to a server:

- Immediately after the TCP connection is established.
- After both the TCP connection has been established and some
  unencrypted protocol has been exchanged to request the upgrade to
  encryption using TLS.

I've suggested the first method in the hope your server supports that.
If it doesn't seem to, at least on the port you're trying, then inc has
a -tls option which attempts the second method.

Lastly, there's a -snoop option which may help diagnose how far things
proceed.

> I hope I did everything right.

Perfectly.

--