nmh-workers

Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie

From: roadie
Subject: Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 17:08:56 +0100

Hi Ralph,

thank you for taking the time to answer,
so this is my first reply to a mailinglist post - I addressed it to you
(reply to from:), cc'ed the list and hope for the best.

    > I think it is the problem.  Try adding -initialtls to inc's
    > options, either by editing ~/.mh_profile or just temporarily at
    > the command line where it will augment those in the mh_profile(5).

    >     inc -initialtls

I tried that and now inc is knocking at the door but:

  inc: TLS negotiation failed: error:1408F10B:SSL
routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number

    > There are two ways of establishing a TLS connection to a server:

    > I've suggested the first method in the hope your server supports
    > that.  If it doesn't seem to, at least on the port you're trying,
    > then inc has a -tls option which attempts the second method.

  inc: -tls unknown

so for now I use fetchmail to get the mail from 2 ISP's and procmail
delivers to inbox (and the lists folders) and then mh reads from there and
sends mail (which
works fine with msmtp).

Should I insist on getting inc to fetch from the remote host? Or is the
fetchmail setup good enough? (considering that inc would have to fetch
from 6 email accounts across those 2 domains.)

... it seems that inc does not see new mail that procmail 'delivered' into
inbox - only when I us C-u M-x mh-rmail and choose the inbox folder with
'all' do I get to see all mails, including the unread ones.

And right now after processing the mail, I have 4 mails that are left in the
inbox folder (where they should be) but in Dired I can also see 153 other mails
that have a
comma prepended to their number filename and they are not in the
mh-folder view of inbox ...

... they seem to be the ghosts of the list emails that have been sorted by
procmail into
their mailinglistfolders? but they show in ls and have weight as in take
space? Are they in both places - respective listfolder and inbox?

I am reading this list across the years and the manual (rand-mh book)
plus the MH-E info file in emacs.

Have a lovely day

Torsten