nmh-workers

Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: nmh setup on macos by newbie
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:23:30 -0500

roadie <roadie@lavabit.com> wrote:
    > so for now I use fetchmail to get the mail from 2 ISP's and procmail
    > delivers to inbox (and the lists folders) and then mh reads from there
    > and sends mail (which works fine with msmtp).

I have a mix.
I use:
  fetchmail --proto IMAP --mda "/home/mcr/bin/rcvstore -sequence xelerance
    +inbox" --logfile /var/tmp/xelerance.log MAILHOST

with password info in ~/.netrc.

    > Should I insist on getting inc to fetch from the remote host? Or is the
    > fetchmail setup good enough? (considering that inc would have to fetch
    > from 6 email accounts across those 2 domains.)

When it works, it's just fewer moving parts.

    > ... it seems that inc does not see new mail that procmail 'delivered'
    > into inbox - only when I us C-u M-x mh-rmail and choose the inbox
    > folder with 'all' do I get to see all mails, including the unread ones.

F r is bound to mh-rescan-folder

which I think will just rescan your inbox.

    > And right now after processing the mail, I have 4 mails that are left
    > in the inbox folder (where they should be) but in Dired I can also see
    > 153 other mails that have a comma prepended to their number filename
    > and they are not in the mh-folder view of inbox ...

The comma files are deleted messages.  Your "trash"

    > ... they seem to be the ghosts of the list emails that have been sorted
    > by procmail into their mailinglistfolders? but they show in ls and have
    > weight as in take space? Are they in both places - respective
    > listfolder and inbox?

It just so that you can undelete email.
Once you have another message 11, which you delete, then you get a new ,11,
and the old one is gone.