nmh-workers

Re: mysterious c0 80

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: mysterious c0 80
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 09:21:31 +0000

Hi Ken,

> According to RFC 5322, a NUL in a message body is not permitted.
> From §3.5:
>
>    body            =   (*(*998text CRLF) *998text) / obs-body
>
>    text            =   %d1-9 /            ; Characters excluding CR
>                        %d11 /             ;  and LF
>                        %d12 /
>                        %d14-127

obs-body is what allows the NUL.

    obs-body        =   *((*LF *CR *((%d0 / text) *LF *CR)) / CRLF)

§4:

    Though these syntactic forms MUST NOT be generated according to the
    grammar in section 3, they MUST be accepted and parsed by a
    conformant receiver.

nmh shouldn't comp(1) a new email today with a NUL in the body, but it
should be able to read and show(1) one.  Now, how about dist(1) of that
old email?  I'd have thought it should send the old email verbatim, NUL
and all.  If that causes a bounce then the sender can MIME-forward
instead with a single message/rfc822 part.

--
Cheers, Ralph.