octal-dev

Re: [Octal-dev] text format for param?

From: Steve Mosher
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] text format for param?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:53:46 -0300

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, the delusional sine fiend wrote:
> Impulse Tracker uses decimal in the volume column and hex in the effects
> column. This annoyed the bloody hell out of me when i was learning it. Also,
> you can make the volume column into a second effects column by using values
> that LOOK HEX such as A3, D7...oy.

        That's a very good point. Personally it never bothered me, but
it's I can see it becoming annoying. Besides, if you use hex in your
volume column, and if you use exponents of 2, then you can double your
volume precision, while still using two digits (0x00 to 0x80 vs. 00 to 64)

> I say use hex for everything, because using hex for one thing is going to
> scare away the same number of people using hex for everything will :)

        I agree. It's more efficient, and seriously, it's just as
intuitive as decimal if you don't think about it at all, at least that's
my experience. Put a hex calculator in the UI for those who can't figure
out the math.

        A tracker, in my opinion, is another instrument. This won't be
apparent, until you start 'thinking outside of the box' and make it do
things that no tutorial can possibly tell you. In fact, most
cover mods bite, because the authors insist on making it note
for note, which the tracker isn't ready to do while sounding
good.
        Instruments are made to create a good sound. There's always
learning involved, and you've got to train yourself to handle any
instrument. If learning base 16 is too hard, what dedication does the
musician have anyway?
        Maybe this sounds elitist... I dunno.

--
Shop smart, shop S-Mart!