octal-dev

Octal / Dynamic BGM / Indrema

From: Steve Mosher
Subject: Octal / Dynamic BGM / Indrema
Date: Mon Nov 27 18:00:02 2000

        I've been looking into the Indrema lately (http://www.indrema.com,
IIRC) I remember someone mentioning dynamic modules for games (i.e. they
change depending on events) and I thought this would be really neat if the
core player engine was ported to the Indrema, which uses Linux as the core
OS.

        On the Indrema games list there's been some talk about music
formats lately (instigated by me, in part) and a lot of people agree
(those that know what they're talking about, anyhow <G>) that a mod format
of some sort would be ideal for BGM. I'm liking this idea a lot, and I
think Octal could become a common element to Indrema games if it doesn't
suck up too much (of a 600MHz) CPU.

        The big question I have is, would the licensing work? Is there a
way to include (and provide the source for!) the Octal engine in a
commercial game, yet keeping the rest of the source closed ('cause big
game companies aren't going to release the source to their games)?