octal-dev

Re: A Sound Gimp

From: Bullwinkle J. Moose
Subject: Re: A Sound Gimp
Date: Mon Jan 22 08:48:01 2001

The idea of some sort of free/open program similar to ReWire has been on my mind

for a while.

A free/open implimentation of ReWire itself is not likely to happen.  Here is
what Propellerhead says about it on there web stite :
"Anyone is welcome to apply, free of license fee barriers. However,
Propellerhead Software reserves the rights to limit the approval to established
companies creating commercial applications for the MI and audio industry."  (@
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/rewire/developer.html )

But something similar would invaluable to audio developers on Linux systems (or
any other systems).

i don't think it would be difficult... BSD style ports would probably be a good
starting point...
Whith something like a Daemon to to provide a list of what programs are
available to accept comections from other apps, and then conect one app to
another... If at all possible, if would probably be nice for the sending app to
tell the reciving app a liitle about what is coming its way, such as how long it

(if known), what format it is in (8bit, 16bit, the sampling rate, stereo, mono,
etc...) and then some way for basic commands (Play, stop, pause, etc...) to sent

around on global basis (all apps) as well to individual apps (for instance, if
you were in some kind of multi track sequencing app, you winght want to here
what Octal track sounds like with your audio clip, but with out the track
comeing from FreeBirth, or somehing like that, maybe...)  It might also by
usefull to have some way to set specific time locations for play back, so every
thing could start playing in the middle, or skip forwards the same amount of
time ...

in my personal opinion, something like that to allow various audio apps to work
together would be a very powerfull and extremly usefull thing.  And perhapse not

to extrodinarly difficult to impliment.

What do you think?