octal-dev

Re: delimiter

From: luka
Subject: Re: delimiter
Date: Sat Mar 31 06:18:02 2001

> > (well...maybe this is not of so great importance). Anyway it seems to me
> > that with "|" the strings are more readable. This is my opinion, for
> What ever you choose as a separator, you can always escape it by doubling
> it if you want to use it in a string, 'can''t you!'.
> The extra cost for preprocessing is not really relevant for just param
> strings.

it's hard to escape the delimiter by doubling it, if you don't disallow empty
strings.
but escaping is possible of course. backslash rulez ;)
i support changing the delimiter to |, because it should be less common and
looks better (delimits more obviously).

i realize that having a fixed delimiter will certainly create less confusion :)
sacrificing some perl - style syntax sugar is not a problem really.

but i need some clarification: in the docs, i've noticed this style:

        ":aaa:aaa:aaa:aaa:0:1:0:"
but in the sources i found and used
        "aaa:aaa:aaa:aaa:0:1:0"

so would the new (if this change takes place) 'proper' style be
        "|aaa|aaa|aaa|aaa|0|1|0|"
or
        "aaa|aaa|aaa|aaa|0|1|0"

LF