writing nested functions

From: Ross A. Lippert
Subject: writing nested functions
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:46:55 -0700

Hi.  I'm writing a convex hull function which calls several
subfunctions.  I am looking in the .m scripts that comes with
octave and trying to find an example where several functions
are defined in a script, the top definition being the one external
and the other defn's being local only to that script, you know
sorta the way matlab 5 (and maybe matlab 4) does it.

Do I have to have one file per function?  I ask this because this
makes me choose between inlining my functions and decreasing
readability, or creating separate files and then having a bunch
of functions callable by the user that the user has no business
calling.

-r