RE: other trouble

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: RE: other trouble
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:24:06 -0500

On Thu, 16 May 2002, John W. Eaton wrote:

> OK, I see what is happening now.  The std_cwctype.h file has a
>
>   namespace std {
>     using ::iswblank;
>   };
>
> but the corresponding C header only defines iswblank if __USE_ISOC99
> is defined.

This came up June 2001. See

   Linkname: [patch] GCC 3.0 configury hack

for a workaround when using GCC. Of course, your solution of leaving out
cwctype, especially since Octave is not using wide character types, works
just fine.

> Mumit, I did a quick search for this problem and turned up some
> messages from you on a gcc list.  Then I looked at the latest
> std_cwctype.h file in the libstdc++ CVS archive and it doesn't look
> like it has been fixed yet.  Do you know what ever happened to your
> report/suggested fix?

Nope. A common approach seems to be one of (1) use specific macros to
detect specifc C++ library components, (2) not use the "esoteric" part
of C++. I don't like zillions of macros, when one of suffice, so I
would much prefer a single that tells me if it's compliant or not; not
ideal, but it seems to work for me.

Regards,
Mumit