printing for N-d cell and structure arrays

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: printing for N-d cell and structure arrays
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:57:30 -0500

With the help of Petter Risholm, N-d arrays are beginning to work in
the CVS sources for Octave.  The big thing that is left is making some
operators work, then I will be making a new snapshot.

Anther thing that needs some work is printing of N-d cell and
structure arrays.  Since these data structures can be quite large, it
can take a significant amount of time and memory to generate the text
representation to display them.  I'm not sure what is best.  In
Matlab, I think structure arrays are always displayed something like

  foo is an MxNxP structure array with the fields

     a, b, c

and cell arrays are displayed as

  foo =

    [MxN double]   [           MxN char]
    [         1]   [MxN structure array]

or similar.

What should Octave do?  Should we do the same, or offer an option that
would allow printing the full contents (perhaps up to some size
threshold)?