Re: sparse matrices

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: sparse matrices
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:54:48 -0400

On Apr 12, 2004, at 4:08 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

For starters, I would just like to be able to store data in a sparse
format and have some basic operations (assignment, indexing,
arithmetic ops, etc.).  It seems that the SuperLU package provides
some code for these things, but again, I think the implementation
would need a lot of work before it could be included as a part of
Octave.

SuperLU solver is failing for rectangular operations.  I had to comment
them out of my tests.  Also according to Gupta (comparison of general
solvers p304, from http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~agupta/wsmp.html)
SuperLU is not particularly fast or accurate.  MUMPS performs well,
but it is fortran 90 --- I don't know if the g95 compiler is up to the task,
but the status page (http://g95.sourceforge.net/g95_status.html) looks
promising.  UMFPACK is an obvious contender, especially given that
Matlab is using it.

Does anyone know of some good general-purpose code for handling sparse
matrix storage?

As Andy says, he has mostly implemented the generic operations
himself, and SuperLU isn't doing much other than providing the solvers.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden